Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day-by-Day

So Kavi's up to 3 pounds 3 ounces. He got moved to Bay 5 in the NICU, which is the Step-Down...meaning their care is less intensive. The doctor said that his main thing is he needs to eat, sleep, and grow!
On the medical side, he is a little anemic, so he's taking Epogen for helping his red blood cells production. He's still on bicitrus, because his kidneys are pushing out a little too much carbon dioxide. He'll probably be taking Epogen and Bicitrus for his whole stay, which will probably be until term, which is around April17th.

I was holding him the other day, and one thing I can say with complete confidence - his bowels work FINE. He stunk so bad, I almost threw up in my mouth. Of course, he was smiling ear to ear.

I did skin-to-skin contact with him, where I wore a button down shirt, and opened it up and held his face and body against my chest. With Nisha, he loves it and falls asleep. With me, and my wiry chest hairs, he was uncomfortable. I don't blame him - its kind of like trying to take a nap without a blanket on an unmowed lawn, face down!

There's a cool new development with him that I don't want to give away yet, because I don't have a picture of it. But I'll have one tomorrow. In the meantime, here are some pictures from yesterday. Nothing too different, but I'll put them up for y'all anyways! That's right - I said "y'all", and Kavi growing up in Texas will say "y'all" as well. When in Rome...

Oh by the way, in these pictures, you'll see some white stuff on his chin, they are only giving him his feeding tube (the tube that goes into his mouth to his tummy) during feeding time. The rest of the time they take it off. So when they took it off, some of the tape decided to stay on. That's what the white stuff on his chin is - don't worry, I'm not feeding him Hostess Powdered Donuts. Yet.





1 comment:

Nate Jones said...

Man that kid has so much hair! Don't let Nisha cut it!!